Improv. It's going SO much better. It's getting easier to tweak myself into characters. Hesitations are getting shorter. Emotional connections with scene partners are getting more emotional and more connected. I'm still making plenty of mistakes, but I'm also taking more risks.
I found an unexpected source of energy yesterday. It kept me in all-systems-go for the duration of class in the afternoon, and despite the fact that I had to stop moving a couple times (like to eat dinner and watch Red Rubber Ball), carried through to H7's 9:00 show. There's just one problem: it's illegal and dangerous.
I was running late before class. It usually takes at least half an hour to get from my house to the Roving Imp. I made it in fifteen minutes. If you cross train tracks at 70 mph, you barely feel them. The PT Cruiser handles great in the 90-100 mph range. I'd never broken the century mark before! Nobody in front of me on the road... YEAH! Heart pounding, watching for deer, grinning like a mad-lady, knowing that if I were to get pulled over I'd probably laugh my ass off. Ready to make the call, "John, I'll be in class as soon as I'm done getting a speeding ticket." Didn't have to. No cops. I wanna do it again.
We have small, small audiences at the Imp. Tiny audiences. And in January, when Second Saturdays start in Westport, there's no chance in hell anyone will make the drive from KC. I'm kinda bummed, too, about missing all those shows for the rest of forever. At least I can see Tantrum on Second Fridays.
I can't begin to say how good it felt to be back in the booth at the Sketchy Thoughts show. I love being part of a show, part of a group, but having my own thing to do. I love doing what I know I'm good at - growing as an improviser is great and all, but hitting those cues makes me feel like I'm on fire, in-fucking-vincible. I'm not going to quit playing onstage with H7 - Hans is handling the booth for us, and getting pretty sharp at it. But if any other troupes need a hand with tech, and my schedule is clear, I'd love to make light and sound happen for you. You know how to find me.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
nyeeeeEEEEEEEROOOooooommmm........
Was that Jen?
Yes. Yes it was.
:-D
Post a Comment