Monday, April 28, 2008

For the Improv Blog Th(r)ing

This month's question: What makes a good improv troupe?

Commitment, from every single member. Emotional commitment in scenes. Commitment to responsibilities as a troupe member, including one's own continuing improvement as a performer. Commitment to putting on a good show, by whatever standards you as a group define it. If your personal standard is poop jokes and stereotypes, make that "commitment to the group's ever-so-slightly-higher standard." Commitment to show up at rehearsals, and commitment to communicate when the rest of your life is going to interfere for a while. Nobody's saying the Troupe owns Every Member's Soul, but criminy, give a heads-up. I don't think trust can exist when someone's commitment is faltering.

Lots of other things, including trust and talent and generally being able to get along with each other. But especially commitment.

1 comment:

sugarbumkin said...

Oh, I forgot about commitment in my blog...I can't see how! Nice.