Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Who Is This Jen-H7 Person?

It's been brought to my attention that few people in the improv community know I exist, and even fewer know anything about me. For most of my theatrical career, I've preferred it that way, but I guess it can make discussion participation a little awkward. So, here's my story.

I'm mostly a backstage person. I've been a stage manager, a set designer, a prop-builder, a costumer, a lighting tech on old-school boards... the only area I haven't done much with is sound, besides on-off. I've been Everyone's Bitch in a large arts organization, and I've produced small operas with my own hands, cash, and heart. If you happen to remember when there was a piano downstairs at the Westport Coffeehouse, they set that up for a show of mine. Er, sorry if it was in your way. I have most of a Theatre degree (blah blah blah) from KU, with a minor in modern dance, and I've tried directing plays, one of which I wrote. I also was half of the duo who gave birth to the magazine and website KC Stage one night at the old Chubby's diner. Eventually, I burned out on almost all theatrical activity, and decided I wanted to work for $6/hour (and a health plan!) at a bookstore.

My Hype 7 bio is pretty simple, and available on the website, but the reason I kept working with them is respect. They always made me feel like part of the troupe. Not once did I have that "why am I even here?" feeling. They also entertained me, and why should anyone work on boring shows? I mean, unless you're being paid well, but we've already established that even an AGMA-scale paycheck wasn't doing it for me.

Some people make improv look easy, but most people make improv look fun. Eventually I worked up the nerve to join in on troupe warmups. This year, after the drastic shift in H7's cast, I asked to start playing the games, just in rehearsal. I do this for a few reasons. For the troupe, I can give better feedback if I experience that which I observe. It also gives other troupe members a chance to observe my rookie mistakes and answer my rookie questions. Personally, it makes me feel more creative, and writing often flows easier after an improv session. I'm trying to combat a pathological shyness in most areas of my life. Eventually, it might even help me to stop dwelling on insignificant things for inappropriately long periods.

Although I can be a pretty organized person, and a stickler for detail, I have little patience for corporate culture. I am not the person you send to a meeting with the suits. I can fake it to a point, but sooner or later my facade is bound to crumble. I am easily distracted. What was that noise?

5 comments:

Inky Neverwhere said...

And no, this is not my blog for the April topic.

sugarbumkin said...

Nice. :-D

For those of you who don't know, there would pretty much be no Hype 7 without Jen. None of us have the wherewithall to schedule rehearsal space. *hugs Jen*

Spark*Life said...

I heart you Jen!!!! *muah*

Anonymous said...

So...when is your blog for the April topic coming? Please?

Inky Neverwhere said...

According to Blogger's clock, a minute before you asked!