Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Night Before Prom

Anomaly Orange's first show is tomorrow night, and I don't mind telling you: I'm nervous as fuck. I'm not saying that to get any "you'll be fine" type of response - I'm just digging the anticipation. Like, holy crap, the show is tomorrow night. People are coming to see it. It's in the Pitch (print version available Thursday). Oh My Goddess, it's in the freaking Pitch.

The write-up makes us sound pretty ambitious. The bar is definitely set high with the note that we're doing the same format as Tantrum, one of the top troupes in town. So a couple details got mixed up somewhere between press release and final product, like the show name... but the date, time, place, and price are right, and at least the RB's got mentioned at the tail end.

Rehearsal last night was the first time I saw the Rubber Biscuits, and there's something beyond just the scene mechanics that I like about them. I think it's how they relate to each other onstage, their bond seems really strong. Clay rehearsed with us last night, too. His monologues are fun to play with, full of texture and people and odd little actions.

Denton Turley has been working with us as a coach, and after notes, talking about a different experience, he gave a timeline of show production v. show readiness. He said "After you've been rehearsing about two months, you put up your first show. After you've worked together for a year, you'll be ready to do your first show. And after another year, you'll be good."

I'm not afraid of a few weird moments. I know they're going to happen. And then they'll be over, and there'll be more awesome. It'll be fun! I'm a little afraid I'll forget to not say "fuck" in front of the children.

~~~
In non-improv related stuff... uh, I'm not pregnant.

No comments: