Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Where Have All the Flowers Gone?

May I take just a few minutes of your time to tell you about a character I played, who I never thought I'd choose, and I never thought I'd enjoy? Of course I may.

Last Saturday in improv class, John gave each of us a personalized challenge for the French Braid we were about to practice. If you aren't familiar with improv (yeah, like I have any non-improviser readers...?), a French Braid plays three separate scenes in rotation, and with some luck, they often have a blatant or subtle connection by the end of the whole piece. Each scene is visited three times: 1a, 2a, 3a. 1b, 2b, 3b. 1c, 2c, 3c.

My assignment was to play a character who was bold, strong, in-charge, and male. I'm not going to speculate right now on why that character needed to be a man - especially as I've been drafting an in-depth reflection on gender in improv. The point is: as soon as I knew who this character was, he completely ran away with me.

I found myself onstage in 3a, with two other players who were beginning a support-group type of meeting. One of them had been given the challenge of creating physical oddity, so his character had a spinal disorder. I decided to play for contrast: inability to move my spine at all would certainly keep me in an upright pose that lets boldness come through. I'd missed the chance to be that scene's in-charge person, so I was someone who had been in charge earlier in life, and wasn't especially happy about not being in charge now. That meant I was old. And injured. And male. And at a support group.

Then I knew: my character was a Vietnam veteran. He had seen all kinds of shit, was angry at the VA, had been getting screwed for years. Finally those bastards sent him to a support group, with a bunch of hippie feelgood crap and ungrateful punks who had never seen the face of Death. I didn't reveal much at first in 3a - all of that dawned on me while the "group leader" spouted the hippie feelgood crap, and I simmered and grumbled to a barely coherent outburst at the end of the scene. (At least, I think that's about what happened.)

Scene 3b was my flashback. I didn't know that's what it would be, but I threw myself to the floor as soon as the stage was mostly clear from the organic edit, and whisper-shouted "Charlie, two o'clock!" My buddy next to me was going to get us killed because he kept popping up and making noise, and I did the only thing I could: pulled him to the floor, hissing "Get DOWN, motherfucker!" Until that point, I thought I'd pulled off a time jump, and the scene was taking place in a combat zone.

Then Jonah, my bless-his-heart teenage scene partner, popped up again, and asked "Who's Charlie?" Then someone walked on... asking for my vote, I think... and I shot him. "You can't just shoot people!" or something close to that, from Jonah. And I said, "It's my flashback, and I'll shoot whoever I want to!" So I shot everyone else who came onstage (all for non-combat reasons). And it felt like it worked.

Except for one thing: I don't know a thing about guns. I didn't even think about the details of the gun. I realized at the edit that I'd used the only gun I've ever used, and it's made of fingers. Dammit. Now I have to learn something about gun handling, beyond the basic pistol. I should probably also pick up a little military jargon, maybe watch Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket. I really like seeing military characters played with detailed jargon - Guy Maggio is amazing at that. I imagine Ed Doris would be, too... don't know of other improvisers who are vets. If I'm going to revisit this soldier/veteran - I don't want him to become stock or fallback, but I really lost myself playing him - I want to do him justice.

3 comments:

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

As with all things, you don't necessarily have to know all there is to know about a given object so don't obsess over what you don't know and focus on what you do know. Simply remember every object has weight, takes up space, has texture, and affects you in some way.

So, in your scene with a gun, decide some of these things up front then you can enjoy playing with them or discovering new things in the context of your scene. For example:
1. Are you carrying a pistol, a rifle, or a shotgun?

1a. Are you gripping it by the butt of the pistol with your finger on the trigger or do you have the gun stock resting against your shoulder with your finger on the trigger? Are you holding it wild west-style and shooting from the hip?

1b. It has weight, so how does your body react to it? Do you need 2 hands to hold the pistol? Does the rifle/shotgun require extra effort to aim?

2. How big or small is your gun? You've at least seen pictures of guns, so conform your hands or body accordingly. How much can you actually hold with a closed fist?

3. What makes up your gun? Is it all metal or is it wood and metal? Is it cold because you just pulled the gun or is it hot because you've already squeezed off a round or two?

4. Do you like the object you're using? Does it make you feel happy? Sad? Comfortable? Maniacal? What happens to your mind or body once you've used your object? Does the force send you backwards? Does your shoulder hurt?

Focus on what you know not what you don't know. If you don't know anything at all about an object, then give that gift to your character. Then you're playing your character from a position of truth and power, not speculation and fear.

Hope that helps.

Kacey Moe said...

Thanks for the compliment. I have to give credit for my slightly-better-than-average knowledge of military jargon to ex-Marine Gunnery Sgt. Ted "Gunny" Owens, a former co-worker in the Research Med Center Computer Ops room. He's one of those guys that could (and did) talk at length about his experiences on tour and during training exercises, as well as plentiful historical trivia about the United States Marine Corps. Semper fi, Gunny.

Scott said...

Sweet.