So... speaking of constructive criticism... let's talk about what you're wearing.
What I notice working best in individual attire is a certain flexibility of form. Not a neutral statement, nor a lack of personality, but a malleable quality. A chameleon skin. Elements that work together, not against each other, and never against your performance. I promise you, you don't have the audience's full attention if your pants are acid-green with polka dots. That sh*t hurts.
When considering a shirt with a printed logo, ask yourself how much time the audience will spend reading it or trying to figure it out. I'm not talking about troupe logos. I'm talking about the busy-looking event t-shirts, with tons of information on both sides. A band, fine, if it goes with your troupe's general feel. A cause, ditto. But nobody is going to relate to your company picnic. Save it in a hope chest, or save it for painting. It doesn't belong onstage.
T-shirts are often bad for another reason: they are not an ideal shape for a lot of people. You should wear clothes that are the most flattering to you. You're sabotaging yourself if you don't. The audience wants to want you.
Am I being too blunt?
It has nothing to do with size or shape. It's the poise and grace lent by good draping, good play of fabric. You can play a clumsy character in clothes that work with you, but a prima ballerina would be a schlemiel in the wrong design choices.
Your choice of shoe is the foundation of your performance. It affects your posture and your agility. Experiment with different styles. You might find that skater shoes like Chuck Taylors give you a sense of groundedness, or Italian dress shoes an extra bit of sexy. Caution: if you want to do a show in heels, even not-too-tall ones, rehearse in heels.
Crocs and flip-flops onstage make my heart die. One is ugly, and the other is an accident begging to happen.
Too blunt yet? Well, this isn't personally directed at you. You look fabulous, darling. I mean it, I do. Even... in... ohgodI'mgoingtohellforlettingyouwearthose.
As far as outfitting the ensemble, the stage picture is everything. Communicate, plan it out. Not down to the exact garment, just the overall feel. What is your troupe's character? Polished, punk, artsy, über-cute? What color range suits your needs? If the stage is surrounded by black drapes, all black might not be the way to go.
Incidentally, I got a new shirt I thought I'd wear for our show at the Roving Imp this month, and discovered that it's the same color as the back wall. Not what I meant by chameleon skin!
P.S. For those who might wish to perspire less conspicuously: http://www.drfranklins.com/index.php
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment