Monday, July 28, 2008

Ouchie.

Nine hours of improv workshop, split over two days, starting at hours of the morning when I'd normally be asleep (not lazy, just nocturnal). Nine hours of movement. I didn't think I was doing anything strenuous, except maybe the brief scene where I held a pose straight out of Picasso.

Several hours and a long nap later, I feel like my body has been hit by a semi. It occurs to me that it's been a hell of a long time since I've made physical fitness a priority. Like since back in my days as a Ziegfeld girl.



And then I went to sleep again, before finishing and posting. Guess what: I still hurt.

I do a lot of compromising in my life. It seems at times like my personal mantra is "of course, whatever you need." So, I could always avoid physical pain by toning down my onstage movement. *SMACK* No. If there's one thing I've carried away from Tom's workshop, it's that compromise and negotiation weaken a scene.

Ultimatums, now... those are intriguing. Meaty. Forceful. I believe my body has given me an ultimatum: Jen, if you want to do improv, and move the way you did at half this age, you'd better do yoga more than once a year. Or else I'm going to keep hurting you. You don't want that, do you? No, body, I don't.

No comments: